Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Week 95 - Happy 4th of July!

Our week was pretty good!! Unfortunately a lot of our lessons fell through this week, but we had a lot of time to tract and we found some pretty cool people!! 

Our 4th of July was alright. We didn't do much. We had the day off, so we got with some other missionaries and played basketball at the church for a total of 6 hours. We also had a good branch activity with food and games! There were a lot of non-members there, so it was a really successful activity. Afterwards we went to Wendy and Audel's house (recent converts) to watch them light fireworks and then we went home and watched fireworks from the back deck at our apartment. 

We had a pretty cool miracle this week with a member of our branch. There's a 18 year old kid named C in the branch who was preparing for a mission the last time I was serving here, but since the time I left and came back, he had decided he didn't believe in God and that he didn't want to come to church anymore. We eat at his family's house every Monday night, and for the past few months, every time we would bring up the topic of God and church, he would completely close off. He LOVES basketball, so I thought that since he didn't want to talk about the Gospel, I'd talk to him about basketball and see if I can start a good friendship with him, and in the meanwhile, I decided I'd pray for him. For many weeks, there was no change, but one day when we went over to his house for dinner, his mom asked her 15 year old son to bless the food, and suddenly Christian said, "No, I'm gonna do it." He prayed, and after the prayer we were all shocked. He's been coming to church every Sunday since then and he has made a 180 degree turn in his life!! I'm so happy about it!

We had a lesson scheduled with J and E yesterday, but they weren't there, so we hope they're still doing ok. We found a couple of jobs for G that are only Mon-Fri, so hopefully she takes them so she can start coming to church on Sunday!! 

Yesterday, we had a meeting and we were able to meet President Carlson!! He is a lot different than Pres. Cleveland was! He's a lawyer from California and he's a lot more soft spoken and gentle than Pres. Cleveland. He talked to us a lot about the importance of focusing our studies on the scriptures and he also talked about chapter 9 in Preach my Gospel and the need to constantly find people  to teach. He quoted the same scripture I sent you last week in 3 Nephi and he said he wants us to internalize that scripture and always remember it.  He and his wife will be great leaders of this mission and I'm excited to work with them!

That's all I have for this week! I'm excited for another week here in Indy! I can't believe my time left is so short and I'm going to make the very best of it. I love being a missionary and I know I won't have another chance like this :) Love you mom!!! Have a great week!!

Love,
Elder Thayne

No comments:

Post a Comment